GardenNews.biz - Jan 18,2011 - Tree grafting and landscaping seminar set for Jan. 20 in Marfa
MARFA – Aspiring arborists wishing to learn the art of grafting and budding should not miss the Winter Tree Grafting and Landscaping Seminar to be conducted by the Texas AgriLife Extension Service from 8:30 a.m. until 3 p.m. Jan. 20 at the Marfa National Bank on South U.S. Highway 67 in Marfa.
The seminar involves the AgriLife Extension offices in Presidio and Brewster/Jeff Davis counties. The program is free and open to the public.
Jesse Lea Schneider, AgriLife Extension agent in Presidio County, said public requests for hands-on tree grafting education prompted the grafting portion of the program.
"The successful grafting of a desirable fruit or nut variety onto a sturdy rootstock is commonplace in the nursery business," said Schneider. "But it has become almost a lost art among today’s public who routinely buy pre-grafted or budded nursery stock. There is a place for it though as evidenced by the interest we're seeing.
"Our aim with this program is to give those who are interested a chance to meet and learn from an industry pro on a one-to-one basis."
Schneider said the grafting/budding session is only a part of the schedule with the remainder being devoted to tips on how to ready the winter landscape for the coming spring and summer.
Topics and speakers will include:
– When and How to Prune Dormant Landscape Plants, Debbie Benge, AgriLife Extension horticulturist for Ector and Midland counties.
– Vegetative Propagation Using Cuttings, John White, Chihuahuan Desert Gardens curator at the University of Texas, El Paso campus.
– Winter Soil Improvement, Benge.
– Vegetative Propagation Using Grafting and Budding, White.
– Planting and Transplanting Techniques, White. For more information call Schneider at 432-729-4746 or Logan Boswell, AgriLife Extension agent for Brewster/Jeff Davis counties, at 432-837-6207.